Community

Can media coverage keep you alive in a mass attack?

Can media coverage keep you alive in a mass attack?

What some may see as sensationalized, wall-to-wall coverage of the deadliest shooting in American history is the very kind of coverage that could save your life in the future. That’s according to security experts. With cable and network TV dropping or preempting regularly scheduled Sunday morning […]

3 takeaways from the brand that was David Bowie

3 takeaways from the brand that was David Bowie

The ’80’s was an era where, like many American teens, David Bowie filled my collection of eclectic albums from British artists. Mom wasn’t a fan, so of course every indulgent listening session represented a level of rebellion for me then. The creative genius of the […]

Media’s role in the urban healthcare crisis

Media’s role in the urban healthcare crisis

Listening to many of my media colleagues, the average reader could easily conclude that the only health care debate worth covering today is the partisan bickering over efforts to repeal the Affordable Care Act (ACA), more commonly known as Obamacare. Washington squabbles aside, there are […]

A mother’s ‘love’ on display

A mother’s ‘love’ on display

Media reaction to a Baltimore mother’s outrage and subsequent public flogging of her son when she happened to stumble upon his apparent involvement looting and rioting in the aftermath of the Freddie Gray death, has taken an unexpected turn. Tara Wall joined CNN’s State of […]

Starbucks pokes the bear

Starbucks pokes the bear

It’s either an ingenious marketing idea or an epic branding disaster. No matter what side of the Starbucks firestorm you fall on it seems a lot of folks missed the point when the company known for its neighborhood coffee, launched an innocent enough initiative to […]

Not your average immigrant story

Not your average immigrant story

While the complex and contentious political discussions over immigration play out in Congress and among the presidential hopefuls, our reporting is focused on the stories behind the debate. In this preview clip of our docu-series ‘Africa In America‘ viewers learn a little known fact about […]